October is right around the corner and with it the holiday frenzy. I love this time of year for decorating! Halloween gets put out in September. Some of those decorations morph into Thanksgiving décor (I’ve been known to turn a jack-o’-lantern around to serve double-duty!). And then there’s Christmas!! Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday! I love the decorations, the carols, the activities, everything! The decorations completely take over my house…Brannon has learned to live with it.
The holiday frenzy also brings about tons of photo opportunities: decorations, food, lights, family. There are so many memories to capture! Although there is a lot to keep up with, I usually wing it…which means I forget photos I want to take. If you want to be more organized, make yourself a shot list (or download and print the one I made for you!) and put it on the fridge or wherever you keep your holiday prep stuff to help jog your memory.
Here are some of the things you can include on your shot list by month:
- Shopping for costumes
- The perfect costume
- Decorating—making decorations, finished decorations
- Your decorated room/house
- Carving pumpkins
- Lit up jack-o’-lanterns
- Halloween party—costumes, food
- Fall décor
- Thanksgiving table—décor, food
- The madness of Black Friday or your avoidance of it (I fall more into this category!)
- Hot chocolate
- Trees after they’ve changed colors
- Décor for whichever holiday you celebrate
- Christmas tree/lights (need help?? Check out this tutorial by Rachel Brenke of TheLawTog: How to shoot Christmas tree lights like a pro!
- Food—cookies, hot chocolate
- Santa’s cookie plate—before and after Santa comes
- Present wrapping marathon
- Homemade gifts
- Acts of kindness/service
- Stockings filled and ready to go
These are just a few ideas to get you thinking. Not every photo has to be Pinterest-worthy—capturing your memories is the important thing! What other ideas do you have? Tell us about them in the comments.
Note: A couple of the links in here are affiliate links because we absolutely love their products and tell people all the time about them. This helps to afford the updating of our blog. If you wish not to use the affiliate link you can simply look the company up on Google.